From SHAPE: “The Worst Snack Foods for Your Body“
- Canned Peaches
- Potato Chips
- Rice Cakes
- Blueberry Muffins
- Granola Bars (*these are bad to eat as a snack when you are NOT being active; they are GREAT for a long hike or adventure outside. BUT make sure you are choosing a good brand-you have to read labels!) In this case, it’s better to look for bars that are packed with whole grains (I love Kashi bars) or are organic-Cascadian Farms is a great brand. Things to look for are: 1) Lots of whole grains (should be the first ingredient), 2) Good amount of protein, 3) Not a ton of sugar, 4) Not too much sodium, and 5) Good calorie count-I try to stick to bars that are under 200 calories, 6) NO vegetable oils. I like KIND bars the best. They are non-GMO, gluten free, soy free, and a few have 5g of sugar or less.
- Honey Roasted Salted Nuts- instead, go for unflavored and unsalted
- Fat-Free Yogurt with Fruit on the Bottom- I HATE fruit on the bottom yogurt. Why do we need that? Just pick up a piece of real fruit and eat it alongside your yogurt. *YOGURT TIP* Go for Greek-it is strained to give it a thick and creamy texture, which helps fill you up! Regular fat-free yogurt becomes watery and bland without the fat. Therefore, they ADD more stuff into it-usually this sugary fruit on the bottom mixture. Ew. My go-to pick? Chobani Non-fat Vanilla!
- Microwave Popcorn-there are some good brands out there. I like Bearitos No Oil, No Salt Organic Popcorn. The organic brands usually are the healthiest way to go for microwave popcorn, from what I have seen. Better alternative? Pop your own! All you need is kernels, brown paper bags, and some tape. Measure the kernels (about 1 cup), pour into the bag, tape the open end closed, and pop in the microwave! It’s so easy and will put your mind at ease.
- Dried Fruit-sugar danger! When fruit is dried, it shrinks. Therefore, you end up eating about 7 times MORE than you would if you were eating the fruit in it’s natural form. That is a whole lot of sugar, which is very bad for our bodies; even when it comes from a natural source, such as fruit, moderation is still important!
- Diet Soda- NEVER drink it again. I despise diet soda and never ever drink it. It contains aspartame (and so do other things, such as Dannon Light&Fit Yogurt-stay away!) which has been linked to neurological issues and is potentially carcinogenic.
AND REMEMBER, don’t drink your calories! Unless it is something healthy (for me: coconut water, almond milk, and my homemade smoothies or protein drinks). To know what to stay away from, here’s another piece from SHAPE: “The Worst Drinks for Your Body“