This time of year is the best time for stew. It’s warm, delicious, filling, comforting, and can be very nutritious. My mom always makes a beef and vegetable stew. She’s changed her recipe to make it more healthful, and I think it tastes even better than it used to.
What you’ll need: (preferably organic ingredients)
1. Organic vegetable broth
2. Organic coconut oil
6. Potatoes, russet or sweet
7. Chuck beef for stewing
8. Pepper and other preferred seasonings; no salt needed
9. Large, tall pot or crockpot
1. Heat up the tomatoes on the stove to stew them
2. Heat up the broth and coconut oil in your large pot or crock pot
3. Once the tomatoes are soft and coming apart, add them to the pot
4. Add your seasonings as you like
5. Chop and add carrots, celery, potatoes, and beef
6. Stir it up and let it cook!
If you use your crockpot, I’d let it cook on low for 6 hours. But my mom makes this in a tall pot on our gas stove and does it in 2 hours. You just want everything to be hot and the beef to be cooked through. Test and see before you declare it done.
That’s it! You can save the leftovers in the fridge for about 3 days, if there’s any left for that long! I love this stew and hope you do, too! 🙂
*Can use canned or jarred stewed tomatoes. I recommend jarred to avoid the bpa and chemicals from canning.