Hey everyone! Lately, I’ve been using hemp protein and hemp seeds as a way of getting protein into my smoothies. I use Nutiva products, and you can find all their products on their site and many in stores. I love both their hemp protein and hemp seeds, so I mix it up between the two. Here are two smoothies I’ve recently made using both forms of hemp.
Hemp Protein Smoothies:
1. Dreamy Chocolate Hemp Protein Smoothie
- 1 handful of organic spinach
- 1 c organic frozen strawberries (strawberries are delicious with cacao!)
- 1 c organic milk
- 1/2 c filtered water
- 1 tbs organic cacao powder
- 2 tbs Hemp Protein Shake (I used vanilla but either flavor would work)
- 1 tsp organic maca powder
- 1 tsp matcha powder (can omit)
- a touch of organic stevia
Blend and enjoy!
2. Pistachio Green Smoothie — I’m in looove with this one! 🙂
- 1 handful organic spinach
- frozen organic peach slices, a large handful
- 1/2 organic zucchini, chopped
- organic whole milk (I didn’t measure — probably 1 cup)
- filtered water (about 1/2 c)
- 1 tbs organic golden ground flaxseed
- 1 heaping tbs organic Hempseeds
- 1 tsp organic maca powder
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 1 handful of shelled pistachios
Blend and enjoy! You can also add a little banana or organic stevia to sweeten this up a bit, but I really wanted that pistachio flavor. So delicious. 🙂
Hemp Protein Smoothie benefits:
I am loving hemp. It is a great source of protein, fiber, essential amino acids, and omega fatty acids — that have heart health and anti-inflammatory benefits. I really enjoy having the bag of seeds because they are so versatile. You can blend them in smoothies, add them to yogurt or oats, or sprinkle them on top of an avocado and dig in! So many possibilities. I like to also mix them with Purely Elizabeth granola + organic milk or yogurt. yummm 🙂 Purely amazing.
Quick Eating Tip: Enjoy hempseeds in a smoothie, yogurt, or one of the other ways mentioned above ^ as a healthy snack to keep you nourished and satisfied til your next meal. They do need to be refrigerated, but if you have a busy day ahead of you, pack some into a small container and take them with you. While you are out and about, grab a reliable yogurt or ask for an avocado at a restaurant and pair with your hempseeds for a meal/snack that will thoroughly nourish your busy body.
Bonus: The Dreamy Chocolate smoothie has twice the benefits because of the hemp and cacao combo! Double superfood power. Cacao has an extremely high amount of antioxidants and is rich in minerals, so don’t be afraid to make cacao a staple in your diet. It will do you and your body good!
Good food. Good tips. Good moves. Good for you.
xo Kim, Running on Good
If you enjoyed this post, you may enjoy the following post by my blogging friend, Ribas with Love: Superfood Cacao