Since there were 0 bananas in my house this morning, I had to find a way to switch up my oatmeal. I went with strawberries and ended up with a Strawberries and Cream style Oats with organic yogurt and fresh strawberries.
I made my oats in my usual fashion:
- cook 1/4 or 1/3 c of organic rolled oats in an equal amount of water in the microwave for almost 2 mins (you really just need enough to cover the oats; we want these to be thick)
- whisk in about 1/4 c of egg whites, whisking well with a fork
- heat again the in microwave for about 1 minute; wait for the oats to rise but not so much that they overflow out of your bowl
- add in your superfoods — 2 tsp golden ground flaxseed, 1 tsp coconut palm sugar, 1 tbs Nutribullet Superfood Superboost mix (cacao, chia, goji, maca), some unsweetened coconut flakes, and 1 scoop or tbs of almond butter (I like Justin’s Maple Almond Butter); stir well
- top with 3 or 4 tablespoons of your favorite yogurt — I used Stonyfield organic whole milk french vanilla — and freshly cut strawberries
- Dig in! Do not stir the yogurt and strawberry topping. Eat it more like a cake.
This was sooo good. I loved every bite. I kinda wished that I could eat it again when I was finished. Summer/berry season is on its way, so your strawberries will be at their best pretty soon. And we all know that there are few things better in this world than a delicious strawberry. Ah, life’s simple pleasures…
I hope you give this recipe a try. Let me know in the comments below or on Instagram. Remember to tag @runningongood and you can always hashtag, #runningongood, so that others can see too!
P.S. You can also turn this into an overnight oats recipe for a cool, refreshing summer breakfast. Just let your oats and superfoods sit in a bowl or jar that can be covered overnight (in the fridge) in some almond milk or organic whole milk. Again, just enough to cover everything. Also leave out the egg whites. For additional protein you can opt for greek yogurt or add hemp seeds, nuts and/or other seeds. For a reference, you can refer to my post on overnight oats with blueberries. Pair with some coffee and you have yourself one delicious breakfast.
Good food. Good tips. Good moves. Good for you.
xo Kim, Running on Good